Bumblebee Family Class is a Music & Movement class for children ages 0-4 and their caregivers.
Classes feature sing-a-longs, call & response, rhymes, chants, story songs, finger plays, bounces, dancing, instruments, and more!
Come make music with us!
Our classes have three goals:
- Nurture your child’s natural enthusiasm for music.
- Create a casual, welcoming atmosphere where families can play and make music together.
- Teach you fun ways to make music with your child at home.
Bumblebee FAQS & Policies
What happens in a Music & Movement class?
Our class is based off of John Feierabend’s “First Steps in Music” curriculum. Many of the songs we sing have been passed down through generations. Not only do children love the music, it’s also developmentally appropriate for babies and toddlers, designed to help them develop their love of music and grow as (very) young musicians!
Each class begins with musical play time while families trickle in and get situated, followed by a Hello Song where children are greeted by name. The remainder of class is a mix of songs, activities, movement, instruments, and props. Each class ends with a Lullaby.
We think it’s important for a child’s musical development to hear live music. Although we occasionally use recordings, many of our songs are accompanied by the teacher on ukulele, keyboard, or percussion instruments.
Classes are taught by Ashley McGinnis. Ashley will guide you through the music and help you modify activities to best suit your child’s age.
This is a zero pressure class. We want your little ones to love music as much as we do! Children learn and participate at their own pace.
Why mixed age classes?
Music is a universal human trait. Throughout history people of all cultures have enjoyed making music, and families and communities traditionally made music together.
For generations, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and older siblings have engaged babies and young children in musical play.
Our classes mimic the family/community music making environment. Little ones love to take their cues from the big kids and older children love to be helpers and leaders.
As a parent/grandparent/caregiver, what is my role in class?
The parents/caregivers are instrumental in creating the best atmosphere for learning. Your active participation is the key to a great music class. Participation includes singing, dancing, movement, using instruments, and playing with your baby.
No musical talent required! Your child doesn’t care if you can sing on pitch – they just love to hear you! Classes are laid back and we all make music as a group, you won’t be put on the spot or expected to perform.
Try to avoid verbal directions (“hold the instrument like this” etc). You are your child’s best model. They’ll get the most out of seeing and hearing you. It’s normal for young children to wander or sit quietly during class. Although they may seem distracted, they’re often taking it all in. It’s important to continue to participate, even if your child’s attention wanders.
It takes time for children to warm up and get used to the routine. Many children are more comfortable singing, dancing, and playing at home. Often children who don’t make a peep in class will belt out all the words in the car! Be sure to try the songs, chants, and rhymes at home. You may be surprised by their reaction!
Tuition & Policies
- We all remove our shoes for class. Please bring socks for you and your child.
- Please refrain from bringing food and toys into class. Snacking can be distracting (and contagious). We also need to be sensitive to food allergies.
- Breastfeeding, bottle-feeding, and water bottles are fine!
- This is a caregiver/child class. Children must have an adult with them. Both or either parent, grandparents, or caregivers are welcome. Space may be an issue, so please clear it with the teacher if you’d like to have more than 2 adults in class. All adults must participate!
- Classes have a maximum enrollment of 8 children, and a minimum enrollment of 4 children. Enroll ASAP to guarantee your spot!
- If enrollment is too low to hold the class, you will be informed before the first class and given a full refund.
- $108 Spring tuition includes 6 weekly classes, a CD with the current session’s music, and a lyric book.
- Sibling Discounts: Full tuition is charged for the first child. Additional siblings can enroll at a discounted rate of $60. Infants 6 months and younger can register for free with an enrolled sibling.
- Tuition can be paid online through PayPal. Checks and cash are accepted in person at the first class.
- There is a $25 fee for returned checks/payments.
Although we’re confident you’ll love our class, a full refund will be available until the day after the first class (ex. if class starts on the 4th, a full refund is available until the 5th). There are no refunds for missed classes.
By registering for classes with Midgarden Music, you grant consent for video or still photos to be taken before, during, or after class. Photos and videos may be used in print or electronic form. They may be posted on Midgarden Music’s website or social media, or sent to families enrolled in the class. Identifying information (names, ages, etc) is never posted online.
You may opt-out of this consent by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org